Friday 11 July 2014

Writing Process Blog Hop

Pauline Montagna is a wonderful writer with whom I have much in common. Her short story collection, Suburban Terrors, is right up my alley. It explores the strange and disturbing events that may very well take place in your street on a daily basis. The biggest difference between us is that her tales are set in Melbourne and mine are mostly set in Brisbane. With this in mind, I couldn't refuse Pauline's invitation to this blog hop.

Here are my answers to the four questions. Rest assured, I'm much better at writing fiction than responding to questions about my writing process.

1) What am I working on?
I always have several tales on the go at once. I have an urban adventure novel set in - and under – the streets of Brisbane being considered by a publisher at the moment. I started writing a second novel, a tale of gothic horror, a few days ago. I also have two or three short stories that are at various stages of being written or edited. One is a ghost story with a difference, one is disturbing social satire, and one is a weird horror tale.
   But the biggest news at the moment isn’t about my writing, my editing and publishing work. Subtropical Suspense, a Brisbane mystery and suspense anthology, will be launched at Black Cat Books (179 Latrobe Tce, Paddington, Brisbane) at 2 pm on Saturday the 19th of July. The anthology will feature sixteen gripping tales of mystery and suspense set in Brisbane! http://blackbeaconbooks.blogspot.com.au/p/subtropical-suspense.html

2) How does my work differ from others of its genre?
It’s my writing, my ideas, and my style. I admire many writers but I don’t copy any of them. I don’t know how or why my work differs from others in the genres of horror and mystery, but my readers have told me they would recognise one of my stories even without seeing my name. I like that.

3) Why do I write what I do?
I write the stories that creep into my head, and I have a natural tendency towards all things mysterious, eerie, and strange. It’s as simple as that. I never have and never will jump the bandwagon or try to write a “marketable” story. I write provocative and disturbing tales, and I’m not talking about graphic violence, that’s not my thing, I’m talking about themes and topics. Most readers, even if they won’t admit, want to read the same comfortable plot over and over again. I don’t do that. I write stories that surprise and inspire me, and work hard at making them as original, thought-provoking and, entertaining as possible.

4) How does my writing process work?
Do I have time? A weekend in isolation from all worldly responsibilities? I’ll take that. Do I have ideas? Always! The only question is which one needs my urgent attention?
   My writing process varies from story to story. Sometimes, I start with the final scene and build a story that leads to it. Sometimes, I have an idea for a quirky character and the story develops itself as I write - although these stories tend to come in short spurts over a long period time. They incubate.
   In terms of atmosphere, I like to write somewhere far from human activity, a place with trees and birdsong, or the frolicking of bats at night.  A few glasses of scotch never go astray either, and candlelight, and a full moon shining through the clouds, or during a thunderstorm. Atmosphere is the key to a great writing session.

Nene Davies is next in line for the blog hop. Here's a little about her:


In 2002, Nene and her husband packed up their home and three children and emigrated to Australia from Pembrokeshire, Wales. These days Nene is living her dream in sunny Brisbane where she writes full time. 
www.nenedavies.com

No comments: